Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Friday, December 19, 2008

New Discoveries

207pm
19.12.8
New Discoveries
(14 Dec-16 Dec)

Some of the new discoveries I've made this year are a number of new restaurants in the area. Some good, some decent.

When I was sick, I dreamed one night of KFC. But being too sick to go so far (15 mins by foot), I decided to try the SUPER FRIED CHICKEN on Sudder st.



It was nice atmosphere,



and nice people (Naoki and Anni).



And the fried chicken (80rps for 2 pcs) had the possibility of being really good as they seem to have a tandoori paste applied before frying.




But the price and the discovery of not quite so well cooked meat, put this as a place I probably will not revisit. Luckily, I did not get sick from the food this time.

That night was the leaving of Doris, another Italian friend.





I've also discovered lately, that my guy friends tend to just disappear, where as girls gather small going away parties. Today I came back to the empty bed of a dorm mate. He never told us he was leaving!

I've also rediscovered a Chinese place with some friends, Hung Fong.


The food there is tastey and the Chicken Wantons were a nice compliment to my hot and sour soup. We've gone a few times, and though I don't often crave Chinese, if I did, this would be a good place to start.

I also revisited the old Sudder Standby, Blue Sky Cafe.




I like the place, don't get me wrong, but I'm a bit tired of Sudder street tourist cafes... they're all a bit too greasy and not nearly as tastey as the Indian homecooking I've been blessed to have. Which brings me to another revelation: I actually like Indian food. In fact, I crave having Indian meals now... not just Indian dishes. Definitely a blessing, considering that after last trip, I didn't eat Indian until almost two years were past, due to my revulsion over Tourist Indian food.

I've also tried a few Aruyvedic medicines (holistic/natural/etc. medicines.)



After you cough for a week, you begin to try anything, and considering that the "medicines" are mostly fruits,honey and pepper type things, I didn't suspect I'd die from them. Note the nice piece of edible silver in the medicine above... use? who knows.

Another evolution this time around is my lack of dependance upon Fresh and Juicy as my personal kitchen.



Again, I love the place, but my stomach has been branching out and has been remarkably stable over the last few months. And Fresh and Juicy is definitely still my first preference of Sudder Food.

So the first time I came to Calcutta, I was supposed to work at this place... this education place where you teach street kids. It was called the Gandhi Welfare center. But eventually after hearing repeatedly that it would open up "next week", and then finally hearing that it was closed for the season, I believed that the place was really a mythical fairy palace.

Then a few days ago I stumbled across it as I was wondering home from the train ticket office...


(the little black sign has "Missionaries of Charity: Gandhi welfare center" on it)

On the same walk, I finally located the missing Khadi store that I love. The clothes I bought from them are the most sturdy clothes I've ever bought here. And they were rather cheap on the price. Plus Khadi is the Homespun cotton that Gandhi promoted as a way of employing domestically and reducing dependance upon imports.




As you can tell it's highly visible from the street.
It's name is Khadi Gramodyog Bhavan. And it's convieniently located at:


The north east exit of Chandi Chowk metro station.
Just head towards "Air India" when you look at the direction signs inside the station, and then take the right exit, and you will endup at the store.

After I returned from my lunch time trip o'discovery, I found that there would be a special event at Shishu after work...


The Daya Dan Kids came to Shishu to sing Carols, and it was adorable, and peaceful to rest and listen to these beautiful kids. I have a video of "drummer boy" which I'll try to upload.

After the music, we (the Spanish and I) headed to a yogurt place that Hide' had recommended when he visited NYC. Apparently some of the Spanish make it a regular visit.


So we picked up mixins for the yogurt:puffed corn and molasses balls and banannas.


And had the best yogurt I've had in quite a while. The "mixed" was a nice balance between the "sweet" and "plain".

A more recent discovery was that I've never eaten Bengali food, despite my time here! And then last night... I discovered that I love Bengali food!
The dishes we had were mostly fish and mustard based, which I must say reminded me of French food a little.



fish steamed in banana leaf, with mustard.


Fish in mustard sauce

And for desert, I tried a Tia recommended Bengali treat: Ras Malai.


Ah, delicious!

Blessings,
Edward
247pm

2 Comments:

At 4:57 AM, Blogger Jen-n-Jac said...

The food looks quite interesting. Especially the soup with unknown brown objects floating around. Love you!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger sirhair said...

hehe... that's actually chocolate pudding "with a flame". The flame burned out and left some liquid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home