Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A fast few days

So the last few days have been busy... We've left Kolkata, they have left India... and I'm about to leave Delhi.





Kolkata was, as always sad. Mother luckily has won the grace of staying permanently.



Our train ride was cold and comparatively short (compared to my last train travel to Delhi). This was because we took a "Shatabi" train which means it only had AC classes (read: it didn't have average Indian classed seats). We weren't planning to travel in such style, but the turns of events landed us in those seats.



We made an Indian friend, Mukesh, who like many Indians, was incredibly friendly, interested and talkative. The train had so much food, we weren't able to eat it all... so MUCH. And a free newspaper! It was really nice. Though the pillows and/or blankets caused me to sneeze, so I slept without the pillow.



Upon arriving in Delhi, we discovered that if Kolkata was the City of Joy, Delhi was the City of Cows. They were everywhere... SO SO SO many.




We were lucky that from Kolkata and in Delhi, Midori joined us. She's a Japanese girl born in KOBE!!! Oh how I wish I had a steak!




The day of arrival, I picked up my tickets to goa and to Bangalore... the first trip is 38 HOURS long on a train... but only 15$! ANd the second trip is 16 or so hours long! All in all, over the period of a week, I will spend over half of it on a Train or bus. (I have a bus ride from Bangalore to Koorg that happens the day I arrive in Bangalore).




Delhi is a lot easier to handle now that I know how to deal with con men and scam artists... if I hadn't been in India for 3 months last time, I would have been scammed when I was getting my tickets... as the beauracracy for the train system is crazy difficult to navigate. Scam artists play on this and try to confuse tourists with official looking signs and constant misdirection. There was one point when I was confused how to get to where I was going, and a person came up to me "offering" to direct me to the tourist office, and when he pointed to where it was (I didn't ask for him to, or say I needed his help)... I noticed something terribly appalling... the place he was trying to send me to had an almost identical sign to the offical ones... but as I had just come from the official place that he wanted to direct me to, I knew immediately he was a liar, and how cunning this ploy was.




While walking down the street the crowd parted in front of Michelle and me, and we both immediately jumped inside a shop when we saw why...



We all were able to go to the light show at the Red fort, which was beautiful and I thought well scripted and implemented, even though I didnt understand Hindi (730-830 Hindi, 9-10 English)... We did end up leaving early as it was a bit boring not knowin what they were saying. The coolest part of the night was seeing huge bats flying above us... they had 2 foot wingspans!



After the red fort experience (the red fort is the most impressive piece of architecture I've seen in India yet), we went out to eat... and Adam was kind enough to treat us all!



The next day we went shopping and touring with Midori. Buying spices in India is a difficult thing to do, because you are almost guarenteed that anyone who has a nice shop is going to increase their prices dramatically over not as nice shops.



While waiting for Midori to pick up some spices, I started dancing to some music that was playing in the street... and these boys started dancing inside their family's shop, with me... so I went and made friends. And their family kept offering me food. It's generous Indians like this, that remind you, that you live in a bubble as a tourist/foreigner, and that bubble can be bitter.



Random pic that I thought funny...



This time I was able to get to the India gate... as Independence day was already over with.



It was so hot, that I wanted to join these boys... and was about to when I remembered what happend to Brendan when he jumped in the ganges... Ameoba in intestines... yuck.



We also went to Jamma Masjid... the mosque that I couldnt get into last time because I was wearing shorts. It was pretty.



And interesting to see how people used it.



After the mosque, we saw Midori off... which was sad, but good.



After that, Michelle and I prayed and cried together, for our upcoming parting. And the we went to the classiest Pizza Hut ever. Where we even got to witness some coreographed dancing. Pepperoni Pizza was a welcome dinner, as was quesadillas that could have been from San Antonio, and a veg pizza. And I tried two special drinks "tangy orange" which was delicious, and Aamm Panna WHICH WAS DISgUSTINg! It was supposed to be green Mango... and that sounded good... but they didnt say it had a curry like masala in it. (Masala means spice mix from what I've gathered).



Then we headed home and to the airport... where I got in. As did a grasshopper.



Even though I got in easily, I discovered that exiting almost caused an international incident and my arrest... As I wasn't supposed to be allowed in, without a ticket confirmation. After a while, I was allowed to leave, though I had to "go now, fast." then I motioned if I could say goodbye one last time and they said "No, go. fast."



(my last pic of Michelle)

And today I started my first day with no companions, save the angels and saints.



So I went to mass, as Michelle insisted. (She's such an amazing woman).



I got to mass almost an hour early, so I walked around outside for a bit, and prayed. After mass I walked the inside of the church, and found this huge crucifix.


And now my life begins a new path, one seemingly lonely, but one I suspect to find more comfort from Him than ever before.














alt : test.mov

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Jen-n-Jac said...

I am sad to hear that you are alone. I hope you are able to meet up with friends soon. Love you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home