Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A longer review of the last days

The day before I got really sick, and by really I mean bed ridden AND in need of a doctor, Adam,


Fr. Ed


And I shared a few beers at a local Indian Air conditioned bar. It was a good time of brothers talking and getting to know each other, and on of my favourite times so far on this trip. It is good for brothers to live in community.


Cows however...

Sometimes look completely pathetic in commuities of men. This cow, has arguably been dead and resurrected about 50 times in the last few days. It's almost never standing up and when it is I'm astonished (and scared of it's hind legs). And most of the time I walk by it, it's lying on the ground looking absolutely dead... with the occaisional splotch of poo on the ground behind it's rump. Michelle suggested that they're fattening it up... which seems reasonable, as it is the Muslim district, and it will probably soon be dinner.

Speaking of which... "the Goat" no longer exists... the bangle shop that I've been so fond of photographing lately, landed on it, and stole it's ruby bangles, and thus is now the new Glorious Goat of the East.


I'm always amazed of the Indian Launderers... they always get things so clean... and I basically put my clothes in soapy water, swish them around and then rinse...

Over the last few days of my sickness, we've been visited by some unwelcome/welcome guests. A few cats and a kitten... the cats are smart and when we scurry them out of the room, they leave quickly (Michelle and I are both deathly allergic to them). But the kitten is stupid.

You try to scurry it out and instead it runs further into the room... and starts playing with our sheets and our mosquito nets... which albeit is adorable, is unwanted. Sometimes I wish I wasn't allergic to kittens. :-(


Our little Kalighat... is the term that our group has given to Michelle and my dorm room (we're in a co-ed 6 person dorm). This is because out of the time we've been in India, I've been sick in Bed for the vast majority of it. (Kalighat is the house for the dying destitute).

Michelle was very mildly sick yesterday, with an upset stomach, but she's on her feet again today.

Yesterday I was so happy to be able to read, that I read two newspapers! You can't imagine how boring it is to be so dizzy that you can't get up, can't sit up, can't read, and can't do anything other than lie down and sleep.


After reading the newspaper, I was rested enough to walk a short block to the Internet place, where I sat for 2 hours catching up on stuff and resting. on our way out we were hijacked by kids again who said "One photo! One photo!"

Ten photos later I began to realise this was not going to end, but I also noticed that there is a trademark stance between two men that I can only imagine has something to do with Heroes in the Movies or (less likely) mythology. I imagine it's some sort of brotherhood thing.

Eventually I was able to say "Ek photo" and convey it was going to be the last.


Then last night while I was trying to go to sleep, I rediscovered a batch of Indian Dragons swarming around the flourescents outside...


And right now... like early afternoons every day, it's raining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home