Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Friday, August 15, 2008

"India is not good, it's Great"-- quote of indian Charity organiser

The last few days have been interesting; As everyday in India always seems.

Michelle and I strolled around new market the other night, as I wanted to show her the beauty of Bangles glimmering in lamplight and darkness, and we stumbled across Zombie Maniquens...

Then we went home and I go sicker (again) and had to stay in bed all of yesterday, as I was too dizzy to get up without vomitting.


So my excursion for the day fruited this beautiful pic right outside my door.




Today! however I was alive and kicking... well at least stumbling enough that I could make it to Mother House. Which was great as today was a SOlemnity AND Indian Independance day!

Which was celebrated by Cricket (The NATIONAL Sport of course).

Flags were flying everywhere... it was quite patriotic!

Even the sisters had a patriotic serenade by some of their orphans after morning mass.


These cuties, were from Shishu Bahvan, which is where I worked today! Well I didn't work with them... I was too sick, and not a girl (only girls are allowed at Shishu), but I am an artist, so I was asked to help a group of painters paint the backdrops for the Christmas plays.


After work, Michelle and I were walking home (she works at Shishu normally and is the person who voulnteered us to work as artists) and we got pulled into the Local Lions' club and peacemaker society's charity eyeglasses give away.

Here is the wondeful culprit.

Indians are very pround of their country and very excited to show you their good works. And it was exciting to be a part of it... though initially, I was a bit worried, wondering if we were being pulled into a communist anti-american rally as the "americans".

But Indian Independence day is about unity. AND that is a leson we can all learn from Ghandi and his band of brothers.



After finding a great new lunch place in new market with one of our dorm-mates, Michelle, Adam and I went to Flurry's! and yes MICHELLE ate TWO WHOLE DESERTS BY HERSELF! Well maybe one whole and one half, with me doing likewise. It was nice. But deserts in India are not quite like home, and they're hit or miss for American tastes.


One interesting thing about Independence day is that many intersections held little circles of brick that also had a flag pole in the middle. And sometimes the locals would decorate them with dioramas (the Ghandi pic above is from one) but this is my favourite... but of course its because I could Imagine playing with the toys like a little boy...

After adoration, we were walking home and I got a picture I've wanted... a Cow waiting patiently in Line at the butcher's (its the Muslim district).




And a little girl hijacked me and my camera after telling me to take a picture of her mother...

The only good picture she took was this one... she couldn't understand that her fingers should not cover the lens or the flash, despite my gentle attempts to move them away...

And that is the end folks... Blessings and praise to our Almighty God.

Oh and for all of you asking... Michelle is doing well... a bit annoyed that she has to take care of sick ol'me but she really loves the chance to nurse me back to health.

"I came here to serve the sick and dying, I just didn't think it would be you" --Michelle to me.

1 Comments:

At 3:10 AM, Blogger Jen-n-Jac said...

i love michelle's quote. : ) glad to hear she is doing well. hope you feel better soon...and learn to be a better patient. love you both!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home