Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Monday, May 29, 2006

Random thoughts

So I'm getting much more brown already... my skin is several shades darker and its only been twoish weeks... so I wonder how much more dark I'll be when the summer ends...

I work mostly on the roof doing laundry... since I'm a returner everyday, I end up on the roof since I have the beginnings of expertise in laundry drying. But between the humidity and the streams falling down my face, its a wonder the clothes dry at all. My feet are slowly adjusting to the roof tiles... its almost a spanish tile, though it very long sheets. But just before 10 my feet get too hot and I have to put my sandals back on.

The sandals I avoid wearing as much because I keep getting blisters from them... the bane of most foreigners in Calcutta... blisters from sandals. i'm slowly learning how to wear these new sandals and reduce the number of blisters, and hopefully soon I'll have think enough skin that it won't matter.

Poo is a very common sight, smell and touch sensation in the laundry business... and if I wasn't doing this for the reasons I am, I'd want to vommit everyday. On the roofs, most poo has been cleaned off already, but sometimes we catch some clothes that have been dried with poo on them...

Cleanliness in clothing is not up to american standards, though we do wash the patients clothing everyday, almost every piece of clothing has some blood stains, poo stains, other bodily fluid stains, or their respective causes.

This morning we got on a bus to Kalighat, that for some reason also had people going to shanti dan on it... it turned out from conversations with the other passengers that they weren't going to Kalighat... though the conductor said we were...
so we got off at john bosco circle and took a taxi... and like most taxi's we got a ride... though not as bad as usual... usually they go twice or more the distance... this time it was only a short bit farther (about 10-20 rupees more than we could have paid probably).

It's a bit odd speaking Hindi, because there are sometimes several ways of saying the same thing, and not everyone uses or knows the other ways... for example... I asked "Kalighat kaha sei?" to a guy on a bike, and he couldn't figure out what I was asking (where is Kalighat?)... it's possible though that he only spoke Bengali... but that's semi-odd.
Frederick from Sweden

Now we're about to head to a pizza place... (they have dominoes and pizza hut here, but I refuse to go to those) one of my friends is wanting pizza... (Frederick from Sweden) So a large group of us is meeting at JoJo's (a juice parlour that everyone knows) to go from there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home