Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Learning

(I've edited this because I don't think you could see the pictures... originally posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 4:10 PM)







I'm trying to learn Urdu (or at least I think I'm learning urdu... apparently hindi people understand my Urdu, so it may be Hindi or a hybrid of the two... I'm learning it from a shopkeeper, who dreams of going to the USA. He and the local Muslims love that I'm trying to learn it.

3 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wouldn't Bengali be more useful in Kolkata?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger sirhair said...

I've also got a book for that... :-) and surprisingly Bengali is incredibly important for volunteers to know, since many of the patients only speak bengali. (Those who know Hindi are generally better educated and seem much less likely to end up that poor. And as of yet, I've yet to meet a patient that knows English.)

And apparently Urdu and Hindi are extremely close languages (only a few differences, aside from the script).

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, "Meh ran nam yveline he" and don't ever say "Me toom se pyar kulti hoo" to the indian girls that tell you to cut your hair to be more handsome or there's going to be a stampede! lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home