Faith or Bust: India

We're a group of guys tired of being told to be normal. We can't be normal, we're Christians. And we're called to live our faith out loud. WE're going to live our lives Faith or Bust.

This summer we're heading to India to serve the poor and dying!


Donate to Faith or Bust!

Monday, November 24, 2008

Goin to Goa.

301pm
23.11.8
Goin to Goa.
2.11-4.11
We arrived in Goa on the Second (overnight bus). And were treated to one of the many seemingly random, but always pleasurable, Indian makeshift parades.



As well as a very large spread of Goan(Go-an) food.


The food was delicious.


And the Indians thought it was funny that I was eating with my hands like them... so they took a picture. (also note the "super Indian" t-shirt that Myron equipped me with... he thought that was funny too.)



We actually had the very odd experience of going to a friend of the family's funeral on All-Saint's day. Which included the treat of seeing all the graves decorated for the day.




The people I prayed for most where those whose graves weren't decorated, which I suspect means they no longer have anyone to pray for them.


While in Goa, my guardian Angel, would wake me early in the morning and insist that I went to mass.



Which meant I got to see beautiful sunrises.



And even more beautiful Sonrises.


On the Third, we went to Old Goa. Where I spent a lot of time praying, as I had seen most of the place before.


(Peep hole in a door at Basilica Bom Jesus)

And when the Indian's were grabbing a Lemon soda off the street, I risked it, and had one too.


Mind you, they come in two basic varieties, sweet and salty... this one was salty... I like mine sweet.

We also got to go to one of the churches I had missed on my first trip, St. Catjen, which is a replica of the original St. Peters.



Then we headed down to an old fort/lighthouse that the Portugese and then Indians used. It was interesting to see how it was planned on the heights protecting the harbor (where Miramar is) to the left and the resupply area below.


(the wall of the lighthouse with miscreants in front)

Then we headed across the harbor to the partner fort (that defended the south part of the entrance to the harbor). And watched the sun set.



Then we headed to dinner with Myron's family, and I chose to sit with the two kids... they tend to be the best dinner company.



And we headed home in the back of a Rickshaw truck. :-)



On the Fourth, we headed to southern Goa to visit Burtrand and Patricia at their home.

Burtrand's family runs an autoshop of sorts. And their houses are all close by.



After meeting the family, and having some snacks (I think it is impossible to visit an Indian house and not have snacks and Chai), we headed to the beach!


Yes that's right the beach in the middle of winter! And yes it IS winter in India (it's completely in the northern hemisphere). The beach was nice, circa 90s outside and the water was neither cold nor hot, but perfect, so that upon entering you had no reason to turn back.

And what better way to end any day, than ice cream?





After the beach we headed back and cleaned ourselves up. And prepared for Burtrand's friend's wedding.







Which was fun, but reminded me that I don't like to dance around huge crowds, with loud music. Keep that in mind, MT!
359pm

1 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, Blogger Jen-n-Jac said...

Although I can't read the t-shirt, I must say that it (along with the shorts) are definitely you! Thanks for the call this morning! Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home